Saturday, February 5, 2011

Because who doesn't love stumbling around the internet in the wee hours of the morning...

I think it's safe to say that I have a bit of a problem when it comes to maintaining a regular sleep schedule... and by bit of a problem, I mean that I lack any form of a regular sleep schedule whatsoever. While I'm not a fan of the seemingly permanent circles that have formed underneath my eyes, I actually don't mind that sleeping doesn't seem to fit into my schedule. I mean, not having a set sleep schedule helped land me my second job, and it's when my best stumbling gets done. With that being said:

 Hi, I'm Courtney, and I'm addicted to StumbleUpon.com.

Let's be serious- StumbleUpon is the ultimate aid to procrastinators around the world. I would say that I spend a fairly large amount of my free time aimlessly stumbling around the internet in search of random craft ideas and recipes, with the occasional photo or random quote thrown in to keep things interesting.  Running down my list of favorites (it's surprisingly small for the amount of stumbling I do... I'm only at 45!), it's mostly comprised of art projects that I'll never make time for or recipes that I'll never spend the money on the amount of ingredients it takes to make them. For example: I just found a recipe for what looks like a perfectly delicious knish. Not only does it look delicious, but it even says in the title that the whole thing in its entirety only costs $8.00! Sounds like an amazing thing right? I know! Too bad I'll never get around to spending that $8.00 to make these things, so for now- it goes in the favorites folder with the felt flower DIY and the tumbler of some random assortment of photos.

There's a point to all that ridiculousness about knishes up there. I feel like my inherent need to favorite things I'll never look at again is something that is frequently mirrored in real life. I'm a compulsive favorite-er. I frequently place labels on people or things that in the moment tend to capture my full attention, and then completely disregard the title and whatever it was associated with as soon as it's been out of my direct line of thought for more than 5 minutes. I know, it sounds completely awful, but I seriously have the attention span of a 5 year old most days, because I have so much going on in my life. I mean, I carry a day planner, and I'm 110% anal about organizing my day-to-day life (not that you'd ever be able to tell that looking at my bedroom floor), but even with the added help of having my chaos neatly displayed in front of me, things tend to fall through the cracks.

Usually, the people that come to my rescue (Hey, I didn't win 'Most Dramatic Pledge' for no reason), or simply take the time to make sure I'm still functioning like a semi-normal individual fall into that 'favorites' category, simply because they're amazing. Once you get past that though, any sort of ranking system that I had for determining favorites goes out the window. Soon, it becomes the kid two seats over in my history class that handed me a pencil when mine ran out of lead or the girl riding the unicycle around campus on sunny afternoons. People I don't even know or speak to are instantly lumped into what should be a completely exclusive group of individuals that make my life just that much better for being in it. Sheesh- for someone with standards like mine (they're abnormally high, in case you were wondering), you would think that being selective would be second nature.  Clearly, my thought process needs to be evaluated and refined.

I guess the whole point to this super long first entry is this:
a) I'm a StumbleUpon addict, so share your favorites with me
b) I'm a compulsive 'favorite-er', and the fact that it's leaked into my personal life irks me
c) I need to work on consistency, and meeting my own standards for what a 'favorite' should be
d) Speaking of favorites, my list is now up to 52
e) My character flaws will probably be the primary substance of my posts, so if that's your kinda thing- keep reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment