Saturday, March 12, 2011

First of all, the Whitney Houston Pandora station? Freaking amazing, and you should check it out.

Secondly-I take my relationships with people very seriously. I don't know if that stems from my fabulous relationship with my father (for those of you who don't know... it's anything but fabulous at this point) or from watching my dysfunctional-as-hell extended family fight with each other to the point that they can't even come together as a family in times of sadness and happiness to mourn/heal/celebrate/love the way that 'normal' people do. Just to clarify, my family has never been 'normal' (I don't even like the term normal... it's completely subjective) and that's why I love them... but seriously, something's gotta give. My point is, I have a tendancy to overshare my feelings for people and overstep the boundaries for acceptable behavior. I want the people in my life to know that I appreciate their existance and that I genuinly don't know where I would be without them. I know that, sometimes (okay, a lot of times) it might come off as too much, but when you've got a family like mine... I don't really believe in the term 'too much.' I know that I can be a pain in the ass, and that I don't always make such great life choices, (which may or may not include my flooding your inbox with ridiculous things to let you know that you're on my mind) but I really only do it because I care about you. Yeah, that random text about creepy people at the bus station, or the random commercial that made me think of you may not seem like anything importatnt, but it's important to me. Not in the aspect that I like people at the bus station (I honestly don't... they freak me out) or that I associate you with a particular commercial... I just like people to know that I'm thinking about them. I live by the theory that if you want someone to be a part of your life, you have to actively make an effort to put them there. Clearly, not everyone thinks like I do, but it's not really something that I'm worried about at this point in time. I throw 100% of myself into the relationships in my life because I want to be able to pick up a phone 20 years from now and be able to have an actual conversation withs someone about that time in college where we stayed out until 4 in the morning or about all the super deep conversations we've had. I don't want to be that girl who shows up to the 10 year reunion and has a shitty time because she didn't spend the time to create lasting bonds with people who matter. I want to be that person that people turn to when they have a problem, knowing that I'm going to do everything within my power to make them feel better. I want people to know that they can talk to me about the stupid drama and I'll listen, just because. I guess I kinda just want people to appreciate the fact that I'm there, and I care enough to stick around through all the not-so-great times as well as the fantastic ones.

My mom still talks to her best friends from high school (she didn't go to college for very long) on a pretty constant basis. Our families go on vacations together every so often. My mom's best friend is someone that she doesn't see or talk to on a regular basis, but when her son died, you better believe my mom was on the first flight out of Florida to be by her side. People don't make rash decisions like that without even giving a second thought for anybody... I want to have the option to be able to call someone that I don't see or talk to very often in a time of need and have them jump on a plane, no questions asked, to help me through whatever I'm dealing with.

I worry sometimes that I care too much, and that it'sgoing to push people away... I honestly hope that that never happens, but it's not an unrealistic thought.

Bahh... I hate overanalyzing everything that I happen to think about in terms of this. If it bothers you, I'm sorry. It's not my intention at all to aggrevate you, or to be a general pain the ass. I just want you to know that I care, and I'll be there.

Sure, the 9th stupid text about dinosaurs on the history channel isn't relevant to your life, but it is to mine, and I like you enough to share it. Just, for my sake, go with it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment